Friday, April 22, 2011

The black hole of homeschooling "stuff"

How is it that we do school at home, rarely take our books, etc. out of the house, yet we are always losing things?


"Go get your math books, please." "I can't find them." "What do you mean you can't find them?" "I mean they aren't on the shelf or table or in my room. I looked on the couch, in the playroom and even in the car. I can't find them anywhere." If I had back all the time I've spent looking for school books, my house would be clean and I'd never have dirty laundry in the hamper.


And pencils. What's with us not being able to keep up with pencils? In the course of our two years of homeschooling, I have purchased approximately 4,598 pencils, yet we can never find one when we get ready to do school. Are the children eating them? Today, Thing 3 resorted to doing math with a red ink pen because it was either that or a white board marker. The few pencils we manage to scrounge up always have broken lead and/or bad erasers.


I wonder if other homeschoolers have this experience or if we are just terribly, horribly disorganized? Feel free to comment. 

3 comments:

  1. OH MY!!!! We have the same problem with math books. CAN NEVER FIND THEM!!! Good to know that we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure our time is coming. Right now we are SUPER organized because if I leave anything out one of the little kids will run off with it and stash it goodness knows where. Last week I finally found all of Evelyn's hair clips that Reid had started to hoard in the train table drawer. Pencils and dry erase markers are locked up in the pantry with all the games that have a million pieces. We have one of those Expedit storage shelves in our office and each cube holds a different subject. Evelyn is really good at putting back her books right after we finish the lesson.

    That said, the rest of my house is not organized at all and we are always running out of cups and silverware because the little ones take them outside for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - I can find my books, but it is our pencils, pens, erase board markers, paint brushes, or anything else we write with (markers and crayons not included - as they have a special place on a shelf).

    I'm so glad it isn't just us!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails