Saturday, August 1, 2009

Otherwise Educating

Scott and I have made the important, controversial, unconventional, crazy...take your pick of adjectives and feel free to add your own...decision to educate our two youngest children outside of public school. I hesitate to use the term "home school" for several reasons, not the least of which is that the term "home schoolers" conjures up images of families like the one depicted in this Tim Hawkins video:




...not that there's anything wrong with that. (And I must admit that, like the boy in the video, two of my nerdy children are quite good at Speed Stacks.)

While researching home schooling, I read a wonderful book, For the Children's Sake. In it, the author mentions a law in England that allows for "Education otherwise than in school". For me, that perfectly describes the plan we have to educate our children. It is about so much more than schooling at home. To be more specific, we have no intention of "schooling" our children at home or otherwise.

Unfortunately, Education Otherwise was taken...copyrighted, trademarked and all...so I had to switch things around a little.

And there you have it.

I hope you follow along as we learn the ins and outs of Otherwise Educating our kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails